The East Sullivan County Volunteer Fire Department was founded in October of 1967 by a group of men from the Weaver Pike Ruritan Club.
These gentlemen saw a need for a fire department to help the community and its surrounding areas. The Weaver Pike Ruritan Club was founded in 1966 with the sole purpose of establishing a fire department. Hill Harris donated the land for the fire department. The first fire truck was a 1951 International pumper, which was housed by the Bristol, Tennessee Fire Department until the construction of the station was completed. When the fire station opened, it had only two apparatus bays and 10 members. With no 911 system in place, the station was staffed 24/7. When someone was not at the station, a fire phone was answered by the Raiders Grocery Store just down from the station. Raiders Grocery Store would then call the Fire Chief and Assistant Fire Chiefs, and then they would proceed to call the firefighters. The second fire truck was a 1959 Chevy gas truck turned into a water tanker. EVFD also used a Dodge Army power wagon as a brush truck. The fire department conducted many fundraisers to help the department continue its service. Such as painting houses, filling swimming pools, a sugar cane crop, odd construction jobs, and roadside boot stops. The ladies from the Ruritan established the Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary, which also assisted with fundraising activities for the department. To assist with funding efforts, Sullivan County began giving the department annual funding. The funding was part of a matching program in which the county matched funds raised by the department. However, after a short time, match funding ceased to assist in the organization of volunteer fire departments throughout Sullivan County. The EVFD response area was wherever they were needed in the county until the start of the Fire Fighters’ Association. After the establishment of the Fire Fighters’ Association, response areas were designated to each fire department.
Jim Howell & David Witcher (JD Witcher) helped with the construction of the station, but did not become active members until August of 1968. Since joining the fire department, both men have served as Chief: Jim from 1977 to 1995 and JD from 1995 to 2001. Jim Howell served as fire chief for 18 consecutive years. Up until his death, Jim Howell was one of our most active members.” We truly appreciate all they have given to us throughout their years of dedicated service. We are thankful for their organization of the East Volunteer Fire Department, which has allowed us to protect the lives and property in our community and the surrounding fire department area.
Our department currently operates a fleet consisting of three engines, a rescue, a tanker, a brush truck, two support units, and an off-road apparatus. We maintain an active membership of 35 personnel and hold weekly training drills and meetings every Thursday evening. If you’re interested in joining, feel free to stop by the station after 7:00 PM on Thursdays to pick up an application, or visit the “Join” section on our website.